We almost never pay attention to the things we all carry with us wherever we go. Do you know what I’m talking about? – Keys. We notice their importance only when something goes wrong with them. Today we are going to talk about the problems you may face in connection with car keys.
There are several common issues one can experience with auto keys:
- Dead key fob batteries. Very often car owners forget to change these elements of their key fobs. And when the charge stops working, the car cannot be started. The solution of this problem is fairly easy – just change the power elements.
- Damaged car key or key fob. We usually use only one car key and some people use them rather intensively. As any other mechanism, the key can be worn out and lose its initial properties. Transponder keys can be damaged because of physical power applied to them (e.g. you’ve put the key under the trunk door, forgot about it and tried to shut the trunk). The same is with ordinary keys and key fobs. http://locksmithrichmondbc.ca/mobile/
- Problems in key and engine control unit connection. All cars supplied with transponder keys have a special engine control unit, which receives the signal from your key recognizes it and starts the engine. If the signal is not sent or not received, your car won’t start. Reprograming the key or changing the ECU may help you to manage the problem. It can be done by a skillful auto locksmith.
- The key jammed in the ignition (you can neither turn it not take it out). Unfortunately, you can’t deal with this issue with your own forces. You’ll need help of a professional auto smith.
- Key locked in the car or trunk. It’s an unpleasant situation, which can make you stay alone on the roadside somewhere out of town or make you late for work and lots of other situations. In the situation like this, you should turn for locksmith’s help. He will open the car with the special tools, which won’t give any damage to the car.
- Lost or stolen car key. This issue can be solved simply if you know the vehicle identification number (VIN). You can find it in the user’s manual or on the metal plate on the doorpost on the driver’s side. An auto smith will be able to cut and program your new key knowing this number.
To avoid negative experience with the car keys, you should use them carefully, keep car locks and keys in good condition, and never leave the keys inside the vehicle if you are getting out. Hope you won’t get in any of these situations!